The Norman Mailer American Literature and Society Travel Study Program
For generations, American novels such as The Great Gatsby, The Sound and the Fury, The Call of the Wild, The Sun Also Rises, Invisible Man, Go Tell It on the Mountain, Moby Dick, and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn have captured the imagination of the world and helped define what it means to be American and human.
Now for the first time, aspiring writers and scholars from Asia and India will be able to embark on a journey across America, tracing the footsteps of the literary giants who authored these works. The participants will study the culture, society and settings that have given life to characters like Jay Gatsby, Huck Finn, Herzog, and Captain Ahab.
The Norman Mailer American Literature and Society Travel Study Program will begin in the Fall of 2013 through the Spring of 2014. In the first year of the program, this unique study tour will focus on America’s greatest fiction writers: Ernest Hemingway, Mark Twain, William Faulkner, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Jack London, Edith Wharton, John Steinbeck, Herman Melville, Ralph Waldo Ellison, Saul Bellow, James Baldwin, Flannery O’Connor, Harriett Beecher Stowe, Thomas Wolfe, and Norman Mailer. Students and writers from India and Asia will travel to the homes, neighborhoods, and towns where each of these writers lived, accompanied by scholars who know their works well. This once-in-a-lifetime opportunity will prove to be an unrivalled source of education and inspiration, a window into American history, culture and society.
In each succeeding year, the American Literature and Society Travel Study Program will focus on a different genre of literature – non-fiction, poetry, drama – studying leading authors in each category.
The following writers' societies are working with the Norman Mailer Center on this program.
- William Faulkner Society - http://faulknersociety.com/index.htm
- F. Scott Fitzgerald Society - http://www.fscottfitzgeraldsociety.org/
- Ernest Hemingway Society - http://www.hemingwaysociety.org/
- Jack London Society - http://london.sonoma.edu/Organizations/jl_society.html
- Norman Mailer Society - http://www.normanmailersociety.com/
- Herman Melville Society - http://melvillesociety.org/
- John Steinbeck Society - http://as.sjsu.edu/steinbeck/society/index.jsp
- Harriet Beecher Stowe Society - http://stowesociety.org/
- Mark Twain Circle - http://honors.illinois.edu/files/mtcircle/
- Edith Wharton Society – http://edithwhartonsociety.org
- Thomas Wolfe Society - http://www.thomaswolfe.org/