Student & Teacher Writing Awards
Since 2009, the Norman Mailer Center has collaborated with the National Council of Teachers of English to present the Mailer Student and Teacher Writing Awards. Awards are given for fiction, non-fiction writing, and poetry. National winners in each category receive a cash prize presented at an award ceremony. Recognition is also extended to writers whose work earns top scores in early evaluation rounds.
- The Mailer High School Teacher Writing Award. The winner received a $5,000 cash award.
- The Mailer Four-Year College Writing Award. The winner received a $5,000 cash award.
- The Mailer Two-Year College Writing Award. The winner received a $2,500 cash award.
- The Mailer High School Writing Award. The winner received a $2,500 cash award.
- The Mailer Poetry Award. The winner received a $2,500 cash award.
Submissions are read by national panels of teachers and writers. They were judged by how well they achieve several qualities, including the artful treatment of subject matter; originality; quality of insight, voice, and style; artful arrangement of elements and materials; and overall aesthetic, emotional, or intellectual effect. Finalists selected through this process were submitted to a panel of distinguished authors selected by the Norman Mailer Center, who chose the winning writers.